Tuesday 8 October 2013

Talk to me

Apples with hearts on their skins

My creative juices are waning. I am at low ebb. The tide of my imagination is way, way out to sea, and most evenings I want to retreat into some sort of cushioned cocoon and be warm and dry and quiet until morning, when the alarm drives me out into the cold. I am tormented by my unfinished case study, preying on my mind like a hungry maggot. I have started waxing poetic, and it's not pretty.

I would like to reach out to you, my readers. My blog statistics show that you are few (about 30, I think) and I think I know most of you by name. I need your help, advice, ideas, I want to extract all the goodness from your brains and use it to fuel my ambitions.

What am I talking about? Well, this has been a monologue for too long. In my previous incarnation as Student Lola, people commented. People I didn't know, but came to know, through their thoughts and views. As Dietitian Lola I am less promiscuous, I hardly comment on other peoples' blogs although I read them assiduously. In return, I receive few comments except through email and Facebook. This is OK.

But tonight I am weak, I crave company. I particularly yearn to know who is out there, especially if you have been silent up to now. I am braced for disappointment (like the time nobody came to my leaving party), so I am resilient, I will cope if you all remain silent. But I would very much like to hear from you.

What you can do for me is to tell me stuff. What do you find interesting? What do you like reading about? I'm not promising to fulfil your requests, oh no, if you want to read about the pros and cons of generic MP3 players or whatever happened to Opal Mints, I'm not the one to satisfy you. But if it's bordering on the realm of Lola Life - dietetics, diabetes, living away from home, working in the blasted NHS ('blasted' as in the Shakespearean heath), modest holidays in ordinary parts of the UK - then give me a hook to hang a blog post on and I may be inspired.

Or you could tell me what you like about my blog. Don't bother telling me what you don't like, because it's my blog and I do what I like. Don't be gushing or complimentary - if nobody read a single post I would still be writing them - but feel free to come out of the shadows, 'de-lurk', and shout something across the river running between us. And please, please, even if you don't have a formal online persona, do stick a name on the end - it doesn't have to be your real name, just make something up, it's fine. I am listening.

6 comments:

  1. I like reading about DIY, eating out in Leamington, holidays, all the ordinary personal stuff which has been a bit crowded out by the high-tech diabetes stuff. But I like reading that, too, because it helps me dealing with a diabetes subject (not a "sufferer"). Keep the humour, please, but nix on the poetry.

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highly unlikely that poetry will ever feature. I've been trying to keep it at least half diabetes, but perhaps I should try less hard?

      Delete
  2. Fellow RD and long term lurker here. I'm a a couple of years behind you on the dietetic journey and I love seeing how much you've learnt (and how it'll get easier for me... I hope). I enjoy the technical dietetics posts, but also like most of your other posts.

    At this stage in my career as a dietitian, I am also very grateful to know that you managed to get your first band five job despite your struggle with interviews. Largely because I have that problem too!

    I shall try to de-lurk!

    Issy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming out of the shadows! Lovely to think I might be useful to someone. Are you prepared to reveal where you have been studying? Am I likely to meet you in real life?

      Delete
  3. I want to hear more about Mr M.

    Yours sincerely

    Mr M

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...