Wednesday 15 July 2015

I need to calm down

Tortoiseshell butterfly on pink flower
Peckover House, August 2014
Here is a list of things that I wanted to blog about but which happened too long ago for me to even remember what was involved or what I did:
  • Getting final accreditation as a DESMOND educator despite not meeting the assessment criteria for the session on physical activity
  • Having tennis elbow and trying to do things to fix it, including not playing badminton for a month and operating the computer mouse with the other hand
  • Going to a study day about 'Diabesity' (combination of Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity) and being impressed by just one of the speakers
  • Attending a two-day course all about insulin pumps, including the opportunity to wear one for about 18 hours (I even took pictures)
  • Camping for one night, then going to a lovely party, then staying for one night in a room in the college where I lived when I was doing university degree #1 in 1983-6
  • Writing a letter of complaint to the college about a) breakfast b) parking and c) payment methods listed on the invoice
  • Getting a plumber in who took all of 20 minutes to fix the problem at Lola Towers (so not that serious a problem really)
  • Meeting some of the Research, Development and Innovation Team at work and getting a bit enthusiastic about projects that I really haven't got time for any more (see below).
As you might have deduced from the last blog post, things have become a bit overwhelming at work and at home. The work situation is exacerbated because of three factors: 1) one of our Dietitians has moved away and it is proving difficult to recruit a replacement, 2) a new service that has been planned for what seems like an eternity has suddenly popped into existence and needs a Dietitian to cover a new clinic, and 3) we have an unusually high number of candidates for our Type 1 structured education so we've had to schedule extra courses. And it's the season for Dietetic students to spend a week in Diabetes, which just adds to the pressure and workload.

My workload fits into half-day chunks, and previously I had on average about three half days during the week for admin, thinking time, planning, projects and generally catching up with stuff. At the moment I'm lucky if I get one half day on Friday afternoon, which is not the best time for doing anything that requires concentration or stamina. Most of my bright ideas will require time and effort to make them happen, so they've all been shelved in favour of the stuff that has to be done to keep the service going, and I'm only just keeping up with that.

I have pretty terrible teeth (bear with me, this is relevant) but I have so far managed to stop any of them falling out through fairly frequent visits to the hygienist. I had one such trip yesterday, and the hygienist commented that she could tell I was under stress because of the state of my gums. She has supplied me with all sorts of desperate measures to try and prevent further deterioration, but the prospect seems bleak. I don't actually know what the next stage would be in terms of treatment, but I'm guessing that extra appointments, cost and discomfort is involved. 

Like I said last time, there are people whose problems make mine seem utterly trivial - on the whole my health is good, I have a good job and an income and a home and really have nothing to complain about. What I really need to do is relax, do what I can do, and stop worrying. And go to bed earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...