Friday 10 November 2017

The fourth week

Temporary kitchen
This week and next I have so badly mismanaged my work schedule that I have to work all five days. This is because of a) the unexpected and extraordinary demand for our course for people with Type 1 diabetes, b) the lack of trained staff to deliver our course for people with Type 2 diabetes, and c) not knowing ahead of time exactly when the building work would happen. So on Tuesday I started delivering a Type 1 course that lasts 4 weeks, on Wednesday I started delivering a Type 2 course that lasts 2 weeks, and on Thursday I continued delivering a Type 1 course that started 2 weeks ago. Monday was a long clinic day and on Friday as well as my usual clinic I had to deliver some more training to Healthcare Assistants and Student Nurses who work on the hospital wards. I also agreed to play in two badminton matches (won one, lost one) as well as usual club night on Monday. What doesn't kill you makes you very, very tired.

Meanwhile on the building site yet again I avert disaster by the skin of my teeth as Ulf continues to nearly make various decisions without sufficient consultation.

Chimney breast, no roof
Some chimney breast, roof joists
No chimney breast, roof on
On Monday more walls came down, ceiling joists appeared and the remaining kitchen radiator was removed. Aware that I wouldn't be around, I emailed Ulf with questions about stairs, damp repairs, doors and windows, radiators, the boiler, the kitchen fitter, electrics and plumbing. We arranged to meet early on Tuesday before work.

I set the alarm for early but was woken late on Tuesday by the skip lorry, because I had forgotten that my alarm doesn't ring on Tuesdays. I managed to get ready in time and had a long chat over the skip with Ulf (and took breakfast to work). Apparently both Skypod Doors and Windows Ulf and Plumber Ulf visited on Monday to measure up, and in his inimitable style Ulf made sweeping assumptions about fittings and installations. So far I have been very lucky in intervening at just the right moment, but it is most disconcerting.



The perpendicular joists appeared on Tuesday so I can now see where the roof light will go in, then the gaps between joists were filled with insulating material, and finally the roof was topped with marine ply. The rubberised membrane was laid on top to keep the wood dry but will be stuck down properly next week. The mount for the skypod was constructed, although Ulf now says it is a roof lantern again. Stages of roof construction in week 4:





Ilf dropped by on Thursday to have a look at progress and seemed to think it looked pretty good. The only other incident of note was unfortunate: some boards had been propped against the side of the skip, and on Saturday morning one of the boards was caught by a gust of wind and broke the tail light of one of my neighbours' cars.

I replaced the slightly soggy biscuits with fresh ones on Friday (bourbons, Maryland choc chip, custard creams) but they weren't touched. What is going on?.

1 comment:

  1. re biscuits: the site clearly states that it uses Cookies by Google. But where do you buy them?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...