Wednesday 2 May 2018

What I've been reading

Image of the book cover

Greenbanks
by Dorothy Whipple
"Ambrose went on talking, but she did not listen. He gave her, more and more frequently, the same flat exhausted feeling she had when she tried to carry a mattress downstairs unaided."
I was given this book by Sister D when I mentioned that I find modern books to be a bit disappointing. It was written in 1932 and I really enjoyed it, despite many of the characters being unpleasant types - all of the men were horrible, and all but two of the women. This isn't Sister D's favourite book by this author but it was one she was happy to give to me, so I'll seek out a few of her other recommendations.


Image of the book cover

The Far Pavilions
by M. M. Kaye

narrated by Vikas Adam
"A story of 19th Century India, when the thin patina of English rule held down dangerously turbulent undercurrents. It is about an English man brought up as a Hindu, and his passionate, but dangerous love for an Indian princess. It's a story of divided loyalties, of tender camaraderie, of greedy imperialism and of the clash between east and west."
What a marathon saga - more than 48 hours of audio narration, some truly dodgy Scots and Irish accents, but on the whole a thumping tale of India under the Raj with an excursion into Afghanistan at the end. The final battle took hours; I could have managed with a little less detail before the hero and his love rode off into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...