Sunday 3 February 2019

Life is good

Tea, wine, water and pudding with Lola II
Oxford, January 2019
In life outside diabetes, nothing much of note is going on. I play badminton a lot; we win matches and lose matches. I have been hosting the Buddhist group while the usual hall is running an introductory course for newcomers. I had four guests altogether, so not an overwhelming number, but it was very lovely and it is clear that Lola Towers is finally open to visitors.

Speaking of visitors, I welcomed Bee Lady and Landrover Man for an overnight stay. Very unusual to see them outside their normal habitat, but they seemed to manage admirably. There was lots of cake, because I felt that in order not to be outdone I ought to make a cake, and Bee Lady also brought a cake presumably assuming that there wasn't a chance that I would make one. So we had two. Lola II and Mr M also came along, and I took Mr M out to the wine merchant shop where there were some whiskies to be tasted. We tried three at about 2pm, which made me much less stressed about the whole course of the evening. The final guests were my two friends (A and S) with whom I have been to the Christmas markets in Germany for the past two years.

The doorbell rang while I was waiting for all these guests, but it was a stranger who looked very puzzled when I answered, clearly expecting to see someone else. As usual I pointed out the same numbered house in the adjacent Road rather than in my Street, an error made every now and then by all manner of tradesmen and delivery drivers. He apologised and introduced himself as my Member of Parliament (Labour). Which gave me the chance to let off some steam about the state of the nation as well as local politics. I still despair at the lack of any party which will allow me to support an anti-Brexit ticket, if (god help us) there should be an election. Her Majesty's Opposition shows little sign of opposing the biggest and most divisive issue I have faced in my lifetime.

Anyway, the evening's entertainment was enjoyed by all with food being eaten, drink being drunk and games being played. And then it was midnight and time for bed, but I managed to get up next day ready for a morning walk and a pub lunch with BL and LRM and other old friends from early Midlands badminton days and it was lovely. And one evening after work I met another old friend from RNIB times who is doing very well in almost every aspect of her life, which is also lovely. And another day I met Lola II in Oxford and in between the lunch and the puddings we managed to squeeze in a couple of exhibits in the Boddleian Library, one showing boxes that books were kept in (some of them from the 15th century) and the other all about the achievements of women, coinciding with the anniversary of women's suffrage. And this day, too, was lovely.

So that's it, another diary entry style of blog which I may read again one day and remember the odd snippet, but is otherwise of little or no interest. Sorry about that, but it does highlight that there's much less to say when life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...