|Cubbington, Feb 2012|
Surprises planned by Mr M:
- Getting Skype installed on a computer at mum and dad's house in advance so they could Skype Lola II on her birthday
- Creating masks with the face of Lola II for mum and dad to wear for the Skype call
- Producing more Lola II masks to be utilised at any appropriate time
- Arranging for our American/Israeli cousin to Skype Lola II
- Producing calorie-free green peas, which consisted of the letter P cut out of green cardboard
- Getting the music and playing the piano part of an Adele song so Lola II could sing along
- A tiny birthday cake
- About six or seven birthday presents.
- A walk in the countryside and a pub lunch with seven other people
- A packet of Durian crisps.
Things started to fall apart when Mr M couldn't get Skype installed successfully for mum and dad, but sister D and family were going to be visiting on Sunday and might be able to complete the installation. Then the Skype call from our cousin didn't turn up on schedule at 6 p.m. our time, but my mobile rang at midnight (Lola II had sensibly turned hers off), waking me up enough to answer but not enough to hold any sort of meaningful conversation. Our cousin had thought we would be awake and celebrating - he obviously knows us less well than we thought. And as we drove off to the start of the walk, Mr A let the cat out of the bag by asking "Have your parents Skyped you yet?"
|Millennium Way walk, Feb 2012|