Sunday 12 January 2020

New year, new laptop

Intersecting palm fronds against the sky
Paraty, Brazil, April 2019
At last I have been able to expend the small amount of brain power that it takes to buy a new laptop for myself. It really came about as dad has become more active and started emailing again, using mum's identity. Apart from being confusing for the recipient it was a welcome development, and I managed to set up a different login for dad but they are still competing for the same PC. It occurred to me that dad could use my old laptop, even though it's a bit slow for multi-tasking and the operating system is no longer supported.

The new laptop is working well so far, although I haven't transferred everything across yet, and I am encountering the usual transition issues with the location of the Ctrl, Delete, End, Home and cursor keys. Finding and setting up software for picture and video editing, Skype, iTunes (or equivalent), TeamViewer for remote control, transferring from my camera and the choice of word processor, spreadsheet and presentation package is going to take place quite slowly mainly because it is excruciatingly boring. I tried copying 14,073 pictures to a memory stick, but it didn't go well, so I'm transferring them a bit at a time.

The most distressing item in the 'Other News' section is that the Pub Next Door has closed, seemingly without notice to staff or suppliers. I met one of the suppliers outside the gates, and that's where I got my information from, as well as one article in the local paper about a couple who were going to have their wedding reception there. It's owned by a brewery so probably only a matter of time before a replacement landlord is found and installed, but very disconcerting to have a dark, silent building on the corner rather than the buzz of conversation, and a shame for the family who've had to give it up after about 10 years, not to mention the staff out of work. And I want to have access to the outside garden at some point, so I'll have to find out who's in charge.

On a cheerier note I had a day in Birmingham courtesy of my clarinet losing a spring before the concert in December. Luckily it was the least used key on the instrument so sticking it down with a blue plaster saved the day, but it meant a full service for the first time in its lifetime - about 40 years. I made the most of the day by giving blood, browsing bookshops, having lunch at my favourite Cafe Soya and going to see a film. I haven't tried playing the clarinet again yet, but I'm looking forward to a transformed  instrument.

It's possible I won't be playing it with the group next term though, because of all the holidays and activities I have planned, at least two of which coincide with next term's rehearsals. Some of my holidays are with the Buddhists and some with Lola II and Mr M, but there are two ski trips as well. There aren't many free weekends left in the first half of the year. It looks as though 2020 may be even better for me than 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...