Friday 24 April 2020

Being prepared

Close up of pink edged leaves of succulent plants
Adhsithana, July 2019
A lot seems to happen between each of my two-day working weeks, and going back to work on Monday after nearly two weeks away it felt like I'd been gone for a lot longer. Our Consultant was back to lead his multi-disciplinary clinic with me and the nurses, still by telephone, so we spent the  first part of the day going through the list and deciding who was going to contact which patient.

It felt good to have something constructive to do, because the edicts coming from the Dietetic department (often with the rider NO EXCEPTIONS) still forbade any outpatient clinics, leaving me with no patients and nothing else to do. And at lunchtime the doctor had brought in some games for us to play! He is a big games fan, so he brought three different types, each fun in itself but each with an educational purpose as well. One was about collaboration and communication, another about multi-tasking and working under stress, and the third was about interpreting non-verbal communication. It certainly made a change from the usual inane chatter about what has been on TV and the latest rumours about lockdown.

Occasionally a patient is allowed to come and see one of us in person, in which case we have to get fully togged up in uniform, mask, gloves and apron and everyone else keeps out of the way. Afterwards all the surfaces in the room and door handles in the building are wiped down. At lunchtime we sit as far from one another as possible. We are all still well, and our colleague who was stuck in India is still stuck in India.

On Tuesday I'd had enough of the enforced inactivity, and wrote a slightly terse note to my team leader saying that I was going to be telephoning patients whether she liked it or not, seeing as they still have diabetes, some of them still need a bit of help,  and I had literally nothing else to do. My colleagues still have their clinics, and when they identify someone who would benefit from a dietetic consultation it seemed quite wrong to tell them that I can't do it. Luckily this produced an acknowledgement that this did seem to be an appropriate use of my time, so I've got the green light for doing at least part of my job.

My uniform was delivered to the Ward Dietitian, and the Inpatient team identified that her Dietetic Assistant was off sick so I might actually be needed to support her. So I trotted over to pick up the uniform and find out more. She has no patients either and is as grumpy as me about all the outpatient appointments for cardiac rehab being cancelled. I'll give her a call on Monday to find out whether there's anything there for me to do by then.

With all the criticism I see online about arrangements within the NHS, it seems that the Trust where I work is relatively well prepared. I don't know about Critical Care, but elsewhere there is PPE and we are told that there is still capacity for the predicted surge in cases, and ventilators at the ready. There was a Panorama team at the main hospital who broadcast their documentary on Monday, which seems to support my impression of preparedness. And our photocopy room is full of boxes of donated pots of porridge, Snack-a-Jacks, Dorritos and Easter eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...