Friday 27 March 2020

Social distancing

Spiky strange grey-green flower head
Rio de Janeiro Botanical Gardens, April 2019
This is certainly the strangest period of time I have lived through. Nothing has come close to this level of disruption to ordinary habits that I previously took for granted.

Apart from the cancellation of all formal social activities and gatherings, the guidance on what we should individually do is making me think hard about my daily routines. I am more happy than most to spend time alone and avoid social contact, but I have been surprised by the extent to which I miss seeing people. Work is now the only place where I get to talk face to face, and so my work colleagues have become quite acceptable people to talk to where previously they were a long way down the list. I'll be writing more about work in a future post; there's a lot going on.

This period of social isolation has coincided with an interesting conversation with an old friend about an online weight loss program with which he has achieved amazing success (he's lost enough weight to reverse his Type 2 Diabetes). I was persuaded to give it a try, and have been restricting myself as it advises, to 1200 calories a day for the last 12 days.

There is an app, and you log your food and your steps and it gives you little pep talks every day based on evidence of what it takes to lose weight and keep it off. There is very little there that I don't already know, but it is the first time I've tried to log everything that I'm eating, and I have to admit that it works quite well to keep me on track. I still feel deprived - 1200 kcal isn't very much - but I have managed to save enough of my calorie budget to include some chocolate on a couple of days. The app is free for two weeks and then they propose to charge me an absolute fortune - my friend is on a much cheaper plan, perhaps because he had much more weight to lose. So I plan to unsubscribe, but if I keep on tracking my calories and steps using free apps I might actually achieve the change that I'm looking for.

Of course the other side of weight loss is calories expended in movement. No badminton! No unnecessary excursions out of doors! What am I to do?

Well, walking, cycling and running are all that's left while we're still allowed out of doors for our one form of exercise per day. I thought I would have another go at running, and a friend recommended an app for listening to while running that ought to make it a bit more interesting - it's called 'Zombies, Run!' It provides a story to accompany the tedium of running which, as you might guess, involves running away from zombies. I've only listened to the introduction and the first 'workout' so far, so we'll see how I get on. It lets you play your own music in the background as well, which is a great help.

Then there are my Buddhist groups which all shut down for a period of active online discussion about what we should do next, resulting in the use of various online methods. I've done my first two using Zoom and Skype and it's certainly better than nothing, but not as good as face to face meetings by a long chalk. All of the retreats I was so looking forward to in the spring and summer have obviously been cancelled, and the Leamington Peace Festival, and the cousin from Seattle's visit, and family weekends, and even a work study day that I'd somehow been allowed to book. I haven't given up on July and August yet, but I think the chances are slim that the restrictions will be lifted by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...