Wednesday 28 October 2020

What I've been reading

Image of the book cover

Watchmen
by Alan Moore (Author), Dave Gibbons (Illustrator)
"A ground-breaking graphic novel that chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin."
This is a book that made a huge impact on publication in 1986 - I remember the buzz about this novel for adults told in pictures, but never saw a copy until visiting a friend recently, who let me borrow it. I can see how it broke new ground, and it's a whole different experience reading in pictures in this way, but I found that I couldn't absorb the threads of the story as well as if it had been told in words, the way I'm used to. It's a bit like the radio plays I sometimes listen to - I don't remember who's who and so can't follow the plot as well as if I were watching as well as listening. I'm sure I could get used to it, but as far as I know there aren't any more graphic novels in my reading list.


Image of the book cover

Solitude and Loneliness: A Buddhist View
by Sarvananda
"Drawing on a wide range of sources – the poets Dickinson and Hafiz, the painter Edward Hopper, the sage Milarepa, the lives of Helen Keller and Chris McCandless, and of course the Buddha – Sarvananda explores the themes of isolation, loneliness and solitude from a Buddhist perspective and examines how and why our relationship to ourselves can be a source of both suffering and liberation."
This is my first e-book and I read it entirely on my tablet, and it's the strangest thing - not having the paper copy in my hand leaves me a little bit adrift. I can't judge where I am in the narrative. It turns out that I value knowing that I'm half way through, say, to adjust my attitude to whether the author is introducing new ideas or rounding off old ones, and although I only finished the book last night I'm struggling to remember what was in it. I think I enjoyed it while I was reading, so perhaps I'll have to have another go at it.


Image of the book cover

Brighton Rock
by Graham Greene

narrated by Samuel West
"A gang war is raging through the dark underworld of Brighton. Pinkie, malign and ruthless, has killed a man. Believing he can escape retribution, he is unprepared for the courageous, life-embracing Ida Arnold."
One of the first audio books I listened to was 'Travels With My Aunt' by the same author. Although I remember very little of the story I know it was fun to listen to, while his tales of sweaty civil servants having affairs were much less fun. This one comes in between - not exactly fun, but at least I understood where it was coming from. I'm not sure if it's the audio medium or the more familiar setting of Brighton rather than Vietnam or Cuba that makes me like it better, because one thing's for sure, it never ends well for the characters in Greene's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...