Thursday 18 February 2021

Exercising

Great Dixter, July 2020
More than a week has passed in which I've been fully occupied with nothing that is particularly memorable. Of course I went to work, went to the dentist, had at least seven Zoom calls and travelled down to act as Supervisor of Works with mum and dad. We are rearranging the spare bedroom to make it easier to make the bed, and coincidentally increasing the workspace that dad can use. It's all still very cramped but my campaign to empty the dusty junk out of the house is still very much alive.

I'm trying to do some more reorganisation with my own home but there's a long way to go with that, not least because I want to move some furniture that's a bit too big for me to manage on my own, and I'm not inviting anyone else into the house just yet. And it's really difficult to get rid of things with sentimental value or that might come in handy one day.

I've also had a consultation with a lovely physiotherapist about my knee, which is a service that I can access as part of the Employee Assistance Programme offered by my employer. This meant that I was seen within 2 weeks of filling in the form, but also meant that the first 15 minutes of the consultation were spent trying to make the video technology work, first unsuccessfully on my phone, then unsuccessfully on my work computer. All very unsatisfactory, especially given that she was actually in a room on the same hospital site as I was, but similarly unable to see people in person without prohibitively time-consuming risk assessment paperwork.

We just had a normal telephone call in the end, but she has sent me a link to a very fancy shmancy online portal where I can print text and pictures of the three prescribed exercises. We are going to try using a different video technology for the follow up appointment. I may suggest that we meet in the car park after that, but I don't think it will be acceptable.

She seems to agree with the suggestion first made by a friend that it is probably 'Iliotibial Band Syndrome'. I hadn't connected this with the return of the ache in my right hip that I get when I sit down for too long. Obviously there has been much more sitting down since all the badminton stopped, and this may have meant that my running was off-line because of the right hip pain which resulted in the left knee pain. Anyway, whatever, I'll do the exercises because that's all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...