Wednesday 3 February 2021

Plumbing news

Shower with screen and fresh ceiling plaster
January 2021
At last I have a working wet room! Olf's mate and Olf's mate's mate turned up to help finish the job so heartlessly abandoned by Flf.

First things first - they are only the second of all the tradesmen in the past 12 months to wear masks - the first was Dlf 1, the damp estimator who lives round the corner. I set up a DIY hot drinks post for them, complete with hand sanitiser and regular kettles of boiling water. I even bought biscuits for them, which was rather dangerous because they looked like really good biscuits. But unlike all the other contributors to the LTRP I didn't take any photos of them, not wanting to appear even slightly threatening in case they took fright and fled.

They started with the faulty shower, and with the help of the installation booklet that I'd found online they diagnosed a broken part:- 453.10, the Thermostatic Harness Assembly. A phone call to the manufacturer was surprisingly fruitful - the operator understood the part number, reported that it was in stock, arranged to send it out, and cancelled the manufacturer service visit which was due the following day.

Then they got stuck into the tiling that had run too close to the light switch, put the shower screen in, had a bit of trouble finding anything in the wall to attach the retaining bar to but found something in the end, and replastered the consequent hole in the ceiling. Outside they have adjusted some of the drainage and shown me what should probably happen next out there. They worked for the whole day until it was nearly dark, and the next morning the Thermostatic Harness Assembly arrived and they fitted it and finished the job. And Olf's mate took away both the biscuits and my Tower of Plastic Pots resulting from the over-supply of lunches, which I encouraged him to use for putting screws in or whatever.

So all that is left to do in the wet room is to join the light and the fan switches and decorate the ceiling which has taken some punishment over the course of shower transformation to wet room and a bit of tiling I discovered when I was up a ladder in there. I put off the celebratory shower for a couple of days to let the fresh plaster go off. It was brilliant. There is still a bit of work to do outside with rendering and drainpipe adjustment, but that's not urgent and I may wait for Olf to be available or look for another tradesman. It would probably be a good policy to look elsewhere, given that we're not going to be Covid-free for some time and Olf is retiring anyway, so I'll need a new tame builder.

Shard chipped off the glass induction hob
More tragic LTRP news though: the toughened glass on the top of the induction hob has broken! Only in the corner, not in the main heating surface, but it will have to be fixed. So I got in touch with Ylf the kitchen, who told me they would send me the manufacturer's contact details, but I would need the serial number, which will be on a sticker under the hob. Except that 'under the hob' is a series of drawers. I got creative, sending a torch and my camera in on the drawer to see if I could locate the label and take a picture of it. It took a bit of fiddling about but I managed it in the end.


The Ylfs clearly did some back-room work because next day I received an email containing my warranty registration, except that it showed only 2 years warranty for the hob, not the 5 years I was expecting. So more delay while that is investigated.

I sent Flf one more email saying "this is the last you'll hear from me" and what do you know, he sent me an invoice! So he's not dead, he is the no-good low-life that I thought he was, and I shall be deducting the amount I've paid Olf's mate before paying him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...