Sunday 7 February 2021

What I've been reading

Image of the book cover

Foundation and Empire
by Isaac Asimov
"In this struggle for power amid the chaos of the stars, man stands at the threshold of a new, enlightened life which could easily be put aside for the old forces of barbarism."
I can hardly believe that I thought this series was worth keeping for re-reading. Admittedly the twist at the end of this book is a good one, but doesn't justify the 200 pages leading up to it. I'll probably skim the third book of the series for completeness but I won't enjoy it.


Image of the book cover

Wise Children
by Angela Carter

narrated by Tracey Ullman
"Born illegitimately, spurned by their father Melchior and brought up by their landlady, Mrs Chance, Dora and Nora learn to dance, and begin to forge a career. After the post-war decline of their careers they are reduced to performing in nude revues, while the latest generation of Hazards rise to fame as stars of television."
It wasn't a bad book to read, and the narrator was terrific, but I ended up wondering what was the point of it? Pleasant enough, but nothing has stayed with me after a day or two.


Image of the book cover

Thinking, Fast and Slow
by Daniel Kahneman
"Two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. The impact of loss aversion and overconfidence on corporate strategies, the difficulties of predicting what will make us happy in the future, the challenges of properly framing risks at work and at home - each of these can be understood only by knowing how the two systems work together to shape our judgments and decisions. "
An academic book written for a lay audience, I was very impressed by this book the first time I read it, but gave it back to the person who'd lent it to me and declined to buy it for myself. Well, that was four years ago and now I not only have my own copy (which I found in a 2nd hand book shop) but bought another to give to a friend for Christmas. With Christmas being cancelled that book is still gift wrapped in my hall. Anyway, I thought I'd re-read my own copy, and what do you know, I found it much less interesting this time. Now I'm wondering whether to find a different book to give to my friend for Christmas.


Image of the book cover

Ritual and Devotion in Buddhism: an Introduction
by Sangharakshita
"Imagine a world without beauty, myth, celebration or ritual. It seems that to feel fully and vibrantly alive, these experiences are essential to us, helping us to feel in touch with all levels of our being by engaging our emotions, senses and imagination."
My Monday study group is about to embark on a series of sessions about ritual, and this is the textbook to go with that. I'm not entirely comfortable with the Buddhist ritual I've encountered so far, and my discomfort is readily acknowledged in this book as a common reaction. But I continue to enjoy the study, and nothing within Buddhism is compulsory, so I'll keep trying it out to see if it becomes more comfortable over time. And if not, that's fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...